5 Advantages of Yoga for Obese People
Studies and experts have, by now, spoken at length on how obese people have a higher incidence of diseases like hypertension, diabetes, varicose veins, and digestive problems. Researchers have given a resounding yes to the advantages of yoga asanas for obese people which can help in alleviating pain and suffering to a significant degree.
5 Advantages of Yoga for Obese People
Listed below are some advantages of yoga for obese people:
- People of all ages (adults, children, etc), gender (men, women)and financial capacities can perform the yoga asanas to get relief from diseases.
- Unlike exercises which are performed to lose weight, like swimming, jogging, etc, the yoga asanas do not encourage appetite build-up. Instead, yoga asana teach you how to manage hunger sensations, thereby, preventing obese people from overeating.
- Obese people are said to lose their resistance levels due to which they become more vulnerable to disease like diabetes, etc. Experts opine that yoga asanas boost the immune system of obese individuals, thereby, filling their lives with more zest, energy and health.
- In cases where obesity is a result of glandular or endocrine disorders which involves glands like the pituitary, thyroid or adrenal glands, the yoga asanas are said to be capable of repairing the malfunctioning.
- Any afflicted person whether suffering from a common problem like indigestion, constipation or hyperacidity or those who are suffering from serious ailments like diabetes or hypertension, yoga is proven to improve the performance and health of obese people at large.
- Yoga is absolutely a passive form of exercise that helps you associate with your own body’s needs, which in turn helps in shedding away all that can cause worry to you or your body.
What are the different styles of yoga?
The different styles of yoga you can choose from are as follows:
It is the type of yoga, which will help you shed out that extra weight. Vinyasa is a flowing style of yoga based on the performance of a series of poses called Sun Salutations. Vinyasa includes many popular, athletic, sweat-drenched yoga styles.
Ashtanga Yoga is a very vigorous style of yoga practice with a few distinct advantages for those who want to lose weight as it will cause you to sweat out that fat sticking to your bone. Ashtanga practitioners are among the most dedicated of yogis, and beginners are often encouraged to sign up for a series of classes, which will help with motivation. Another advantage is that Ashtanga Yoga is ideal for the home practitioners, once you learn the poses.
Power Yoga is extremely popular, one of the reasons being that it provides a very vigorous cardiovascular workout. This will help you get back to shape.
Vinyasa Yoga done in a closed room guarantees that you’ll sweat buckets. Keep in mind that if you are just starting to do yoga or are quite out of shape, always choose a beginning level class.
Yogic diet concept
According to yoga, food is the energy source for the body and it also acts as medicine for the body. Life is continued and maintained because of the food. Food is not only the meal which is digested in the digestive tract but it is the source of nourishment. In the context of yoga, obesity does not refer only to the physical body. It also means various other aspects of our being and how we nourish and mobilize them. So while treating obesity through yoga it’s not enough to treat with special diet charts but it is necessary to treat the body at the level of consciousness.
Why Yoga Should be Chosen Over Anti-Obesity Drugs ?
Yoga is a time tested practice of achieving good health and being immune from common ailments and disorders. In eastern countries, especially in India, it is rather considered a way of life. It ensures mental and spiritual well being too apart from sound physical state. The yoga postures can be tried and practiced in the privacy of our homes and there are several resources which can teach us this technique. It teaches us to respect our body, mind and soul primarily. As our consciousness about health increases, we curb the tendency in us of making wrong choices about food and drinks. It brings discipline in our lives. Parents can be exemplary to their kids by practicing Yoga.
Anti-obesity drugs are costly, partially effective, have side3 effects and at the most can address the physical disorder. Yoga can not only treat this health issue but also can bring radical changes in our outlook on health and life style.