Eating Food Quickly May Lead To Obesity
Eating your food quickly may be the reason you are gaining weight. A new research by Osaka University scientists examined about 3000 people. The researchers found out that those who ate their food quickly were more likely to be obese.
Why does Eating food quickly lead to Obesity?
According to experts, our body has a signaling system which tells the brain to stop eating if the stomach is full. However, by eating fast, you do not give time for the stomach to realize that it is full.
Research proves that Eating food quickly leads to Obesity:
Eating food quickly leads to overeating. Overeating may in turn lead to obesity. In this research, the eating habits of 3000 volunteers were examined. Among 3000, about half of them reported that they ate their food quickly. According to this research:
- Men who ate food quickly were 84% more likely to be overweight than men who ate slowly
- Women who ate food quickly were 2 times more likely to be overweight than women who ate slowly
- People who swallow or cram the food were 3 times more likely to be overweight
This research shows that eating slowly can help you to have eat less, and hence can control your weight
Tips to Eat Food Slowly:
When you eat slowly, you will have enough time to realize that you are full. After you feel full, you would stop eating food. However, when you eat quickly, it would be too late to realize that you have eaten more than required. Here are few tips to eat slowly:
- Chew your food properly and enjoy the taste of the food
- Do not wait till you are too hungry. This will help you to control your speed of eating
- Start with small portions of food and go for additional servings if needed
Children should be allowed to stop eating if they feel they are full. Eating habits such as overeating and eating quickly can be unlearned. Hence, eat slowly and eat less. In this way, you would be enjoying your food and controlling your weight too.