Side Affects of Gastric Bypass Surgery
Like many other surgeries, gastric bypass surgery has a few side effects, they are
Side Effects of Weight Loss
- Within two years after the gastric bypass surgery, patients will loose around 60 to 80% of their excess body weight.
- Because of this significant weight loss the patients with co-morbid illnesses like high blood pressure, diabetes and cholesterol will be reduced
Nutritional Side Effects
- Nutritional deficiencies are common in gastric bypass surgery. Nutrients get absorbed in small intestine and for gastric bypass patients the consumed food does not go that area.
- Eating nutritious food and regular intake of vitamin supplements can ameliorate, or help in preventing the problem.
- Lactose helps to break down the dairy products. Lactose intolerance can happen in the patients, this can lead to diarrhea, cramping and formation of gas.
- Temporary hair loss is seen often, this is due to lack of protein and rapid weight loss. Eating more protein food can stabilize this problem
Gastrointestinal Side Effects
- The newly created stomach pouch cannot take over load or excess food, and if you over eat it results in pain ans nausea effect. Eating slowly, chewing the food thoroughly and most importantly stopping when you feel full can ease this problem.
- Dumping syndrome is another side effect that occurs when the pouch’s content goes to small intestine quickly. This will cause sweating, palpitations, nausea ans weakness.
- Due to the surgery, there will be an impact on the digestion resulting in constipation or diarrhea.
Some Physical Side Effects
Usually after the surgery instead of burning fat, the body uses muscle to get energy. Loss of muscle mass is often seen, this is because of the less protein and calories intake. A high protein food and a good exercise routine can prevent this situation.
One out of ten patients who had undergone gastric bypass surgery needs a gallbladder removal surgery. This is because gastric bypass surgery increases the risk of gallstones, which are formed due to the rapid weight loss