How to Lose Weight on Birth Control Pills?
According to a research study published in the February 2011 issue of the journal Human reproduction, intake of
birth control pills
does not cause weight gain. The study was carried out at the Oregon National Primate Research Center, University of Oregon Health & Science. Though the topic is quite relevant in recent times, there has been very less research done on it. This article tries to gain further insight on this subject.
Knowledge Gained from Research on Birth Control Pills and Weight Gain:
- The study used Rhesus monkeys as their reproduction system is close to that of humans.
- 50 percent of these monkeys were obese and the other half had normal weight.
- Dosages of contraceptive pills were given to them for eight months of the study based on their weight.
- Lean muscle mass, weight, activity levels, food intake and body fat were the factors which were closely monitored during the study.
- At the end of the study, monkeys from the normal weight group showed no changes in their weights.
- But, the obese monkeys lost 8.5 percent of their weight and there was a reduction of body fat by 12 percent.
- The researchers said that though this study was not carried out on humans, there is no cause for women to be worried of gaining weight after taking contraceptive pills.
What are the Ways of Losing Weight Using Contraceptives?
- Before beginning any weight loss program, consult your doctor. Ensure that your doctor is aware of which control pills you are taking. The doctor must also know the other medications that you are taking. If you are planning to take up a weight loss program, seek advise from your doctor.
- Consult your doctor, if you are opting for lower estrogen control pills of birth. The newer low estrogen contraception brands have lower rates of water retention than high estrogen contraceptives. Newer estrogen contraception also produce a mild diuretic diet.
- In order to lose weight on these pills, increase your strength training regimen. Pills which contains higher levels of progestin lead to body chemistry. Later on this chemistry breaks down the tissue muscle faster. Consult your doctor before consuming this lower progestin birth control pills.
- Eat healthy and low fat diet. Women consuming these pills need lower calorie diet which is full of vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidants.
- Be attentive, if you experience any negative signs. Monitor your weight loss progress.
What are the Side Effects of Birth Control Pills?
The pills that are available today are not better nor safer than the pills which were available a couple of decade ago. Despite many improvements, there are many side effects which are caused by these pills. When you take a pill, your body needs to adjust to the hormonal changes that are brought on by the usage of the pill.
What are the Side Effects of Contraceptives?
- Dizzy feeling
- Breast tenderness
- Weight gain
- Mood swings
- Pain in the abdominal area
Who Should Not Use the Birth Control Pills?
Women who are experiencing certain medical problems should not consume these pills. Medical problems include:-
- Regular blood clots
- Cardiac Problems
- Over the age of 35
- Blood pressure
- Consult your gynecologist before taking the pill.