Bariatric Surgery Diet – Before and After
Bariatric Surgery is opted by those people who want to reduce weight. A person who is undergoing bariatric surgery requires healthy diet in order to recover fast. The diet is very important before and after the surgery as it decreases the risk of complications during and after the surgery. This article focuses on the diet which should be consumed by a person before and after the bariatric surgery.
Bariatric Surgery Diet – Before
- Before bariatric surgery, the patient is expected to have 800 to 1200 calories per day. A diet which is low in carbohydrates, fats and calories is recommended by the doctor.
- Avoid eating high sugar foods, fatty meals, fried foods, butter, high calorie beverages and whole milk products.
- You can have oatmeal, cereals and yoghurt for breakfast. Include lean meat or fish and green leafy vegetables for lunch and dinner.
- Intake more minerals, proteins and vitamins supplements. Protein is required for fast recovery after the surgery. It is also required to burn excess fat and protect muscles.
Bariatric Surgery Diet – After
- After the surgery, a patient is required to follow the diet plan strictly. Most of the bariatric surgery fail, because patients do not follow the diet plan as prescribed by the bariatric surgeons.
- After three months, the patient is allowed to eat regular food. The diet plans consists of 3 small meals and 3 healthy snacks per day. Vegetables, lean meat, protein, fruits and whole grains all are included in the diet.
Clear Liquid Diet:-
After the bariatric surgery, for the first two weeks the patient is required to have clear liquid diet. It keeps the patient hydrated. Clear liquid diet includes fruit juices such as apple, grapes, cranberry and kiwi.
In the 3-4 week after the surgery, the patient is allowed to eat pureed foods. Pureed foods are mashed with the help of a blender or food processor.
Soft Foods and Regular Diet:-
Foods which are easy to chew and are soft is recommended to eat. A patient can eat rice, noodles and cooked vegetables. A patient is required to eat soft food for about 8 weeks.
Long Term Diet Plan after the Bariatric Surgery
- Intake of proteins.
- Plenty of fruits and vegetables
- Do not drink fluids while eating food.
- Vitamins and mineral supplements daily.
- Plenty of water
- Eat and drink slowly.