What is Necessary – Diet Plans for Teens or Nutrition?
Teenage is a phase of life when several hormonal changes take place in the body. Boys and girls undergo radical psychological and physical changes. These changes have their impact for the rest of their lives. For a country where obesity has reached epidemic proportions, how important or necessary in the first place are diet plans for teens? This article tries to gain further insight on the topic.
How Necessary are Diet Plans for Teens?
The calorie requirement for a teenage girl on average is between 1,800 and 2,100 calories a day. Boys require between 2,200 and 2,700 calories daily. A typical teenage life involves lots of physical activities like sports and dances which naturally burn the calories of the body. Health experts opine that teenagers do not require a diet plan for them per se until and unless their BMI is above 25 and obesity is in their family.
Tips to Follow Diet Plans for Teens:
It is indeed a task at hand to teach teenagers to make healthy choices with the food they eat. The best way for parents is to lead by example. They themselves can maintain a diet which suits their age and practice what they preach. Some of the tips to follow and instruct are:
- It is important to have the first meal of the day for sure. The diet can include complex carbohydrates and fruit juices which can energize us for a major part of the day.
- The parents should be aware of the foods available to their kids in their schools and colleges so that their wards can make healthy choices at lunch.
- Brown bagging is a good idea and it should be stuffed with carbohydrates, fruits, veggies and lean proteins.
- The fridge should contain healthy snacks after the child returns from school and remains alone in the home.
- Dinner time should be reserved exclusively for family. It should not only feed the stomach but also the mind and heart. The bonding between family members is enhanced by such practices and it reflects in the developing mental health of the teenagers.
- It is in the best interest of the family if parents can quit smoking as there are higher chances for teenagers to follow their guardians but in a wrong way.
More than worrying on diet plans for teens, the parents should ensure that their children are never short of nutrition by making healthy foods and drinks always available in the house.