What is Rosedale Diet – Advantages and Disadvantages
With the rising number of obesity cases in the United States, many people are trying out weight loss diets to get rid of excess body fat. The Rosedale diet is a diet plan discovered by Dr. Ron Rosedale. This article reviews the advantages and disadvantages of this diet.
What is Rosedale Diet?
This diet plan works by controlling the appetite and regulating the metabolism of the body. The key factor in this diet is to maintaining proper levels of the hormone leptin. Following this diet closely may yield weight loss of up to five pounds in the first week.
Food items which are included in this diet plan are chicken, salmon, walnuts, brussel sprouts, collards, blueberries, strawberries, avocadoes, spinach, olive oil and trout. Intake of these foods increases the presence of fat in the body, while reducing carbohydrate and protein levels. Some foods are not allowed while on this diet. Foods to avoid include white potatoes, pumpkin, bananas, yams, pineapple, dried fruit, water melon, corn, oranges, honeydews and cantaloupes. In addition to eating according to the allowed and disallowed food items, it is also essential to take certain supplements which are detailed in the Rosedale book obtained along with the diet plan.
What are the Advantages and Disadvantages of Rosedale Diet?
- The allowed foods contain heart-friendly fats and do not increase the risk of cardiovascular ailments.
- The intake of the allowed foods is safe for type 2 diabetics.
- The diet plan encourages slower eating of food and this ensures proper chewing and digestion of meals.
- It is advisable to move on to such a diet plan in a gradual manner instead of starting it suddenly.
- Its disadvantages include a lack of planned physical exercise, low levels of carbohydrate and protein intake and little to no variety of foods in the diet which can leave some needed vitamins or nutrients missing.
- When starting any new diet plan, be sure to consult your physician prior to beginning.
Dr Rosedale: Rosedale Health Plan