Healthy Eating Tips For Teens
- Eat at least three times a day
- Increase fiber intake
- Limit salt
- Drink a lot of water
- Eat a balanced diet
- Snack on fruits and vegetables instead of chips, candy and other junk food
Healthy Diet Plan for Teens:
- A cup of soy with skimmed milk
- Whole-grain bread with peanut butter
- 1 to 2 boiled eggs
- Oatmeal with raisins, sliced banana or strawberries, for some protein you can add peanut butter
- Orange juice fortified with calcium
- Egg salad with lettuce and tomato on whole grain bread
- Vegetable pizza
- Lentil, vegetable or black bean soup
- Tacos made with beans, tomatoes, onions and other vegetables, topped with light cheese
- Tuna sandwich on whole-wheat bread.
- Baked potato topped with steamed vegetables.
- Chicken with salsa and guacamole.
- Grilled shrimp or chicken with light Caesar dressing.
- Chicken, shrimp or tofu with stir-fried vegetables.
For successful weight control, combine a balanced diet of vegetables, fruit, whole grain, lean protein and low-fat dairy with regular exercise.
Always consult your doctor before beginning a new diet or exercise regimen.
Weight-Control Information Network; Take Charge of Your Health: A Guide for Teenagers; win.niddk.nih.gov; http://win.niddk.nih.gov/publications/take_charge.htm
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics; Raising Healthy Eaters from Preschool to High School; EatRight.org;