Garcinia for Weight Loss
Garcinia cambogia is a tree widely grown in South Eastern Asia. It bears red or yellow colored berry-like fruits. The best known species of this wonder-fruit is the purple mangosteen and gambooge. These two species are also significant because the extracts from their rinds also serves as a weight loss supplement. It is an active ingredient of appetite suppressants like Hydroxycut, Leptoprin and Xango.
Proponents claim that garcinia:
- Blocks lipogenesis, which is the process of converting starches and sugars into fat.
- Promotes the burning of excess lipids and carbohydrates.
- Supports normal cholesterol, LDL and triglyceride levels.
- Prohibits excess glucose from converting to fat, but converts it to glycogen instead.
- Sends signals to the brain that your body is full by increasing stores of glycogen.
- Fruit rind extracts work as an appetite suppressant.
- Promotes the efficacy of brain chemicals like serotonin. Serotonin is the feel-good brain neurotransmitter. It reduces untimely cravings for food especially carbohydrates. It is a major component of anti-depressant drugs.
- Generates thermogenesis to increase metabolism.
- Contains a high amount of Vitamin C which is also known to boost the immune system.
The dried fruit rind of Garcinia Cambogia is patented as Super Citrimax. Manufacturer’s claim that it is heart healthy and helpful in reducing inflammation, a condition closely associated with obesity. All of the above benefits are partnered with a disclaimer that the supplement claims have not been evaluated or approved by the FDA.
Weider Nutrition International; Notification Pursuant to Section 6 of DSHEA; FDA.gov;