Milk And Weight Loss
Have you ever wondered why
milk and weight loss
go hand in hand? Dairy is promoted as one of the few foods which can make you lighter. Research says that sufficient amount of calcium in milk can help break down fat and prevent it from being stored in the body.
A study had revealed that dieters who included 3 servings of calcium rich dairy in their diet for a period of six months lost more belly fat than those who did not include any dairy in their diet. Not only that, milk can reduce the intensity of pre menstrual symptoms in middle aged women.
Why do Milk and Weight Loss complement each other?
Here are some facts which will help you understand the connection between the two.
- Calcium is extremely important when it comes to the health of bones, teeth and muscles. It is also important in maintaining a good and healthy heart. About 1000 mg of calcium is recommended daily.
- Researchers are of the opinion that if the body does not get the recommended amount of calcium in a day, then the brain detects the shortage and signals the body to eat more to get the required levels of calcium from food. As a result, your appetite increases and you overeat. Getting the recommended amount of calcium every day can in fact lower your overeating urges.
- Milk is one of the food sources rich in calcium. An 8 ounce glass of milk contains 300 mg of calcium. 1 cup of yogurt contains 447 mg. 1 ounce mozzarella cheese contains 183mg.
- The protein in milk helps you stay full for a longer period and prevents from gorging unhealthy snacks. This is because milk is 4 parts whey and 1 part protein. Both of these are very high quality and good proteins.
- Milk has a low glycemic index (GI). The GI of whole milk is about 31. Glycemic Index is a measure of how fast the carbohydrates are broken down into simple sugars and their effects on the blood sugar levels.
- Milk is slowly broken down and releases glucose gradually in the blood stream. This particular feature makes it the best friend of dieters and diabetics.
- However, it is important to go for non fat, low fat or skimmed milk when you are dieting and watching your fat intake. Milk and weight loss becomes a reality when we can supplement our everyday diet with different forms of low fat dairy.