It is well realized that obesity has grown to menacing proportions. The Centers for Disease and Control opines that about one-third or 33.8% of the American population is obese. Thousands of weight loss solutions throng the market today. Very few of them are approved by the Federal Drug and Administration and generally come with a whole lot of side effects. In this article, we are going to discuss about a safe and absolutely natural solution which can aid in weight loss, namely, Acupressure.
Acupressure is emerging as an efficient treatment for obesity. It is easy to get confused between Acupressure and Acupuncture. However, the former is a less painful and less complicated procedure than acupuncture since this treatment does not involve the piercing of needles at pressure points. Anybody can opt for this treatment because it does not have any kind of side effects.
What is Acupressure?
Acupressure is essentially a massage technique that is based on the principles of exerting pressure on certain key points spread all over the body. It actually involves the use of finger pressure (rather than needles) at specific points all along the body to treat conditions such as arthritis, lifestyle hazards like stress and tension, aches and pains, menstrual cramps and above all, obesity.
To know more about acupressure for weight loss watch the video below.
Acupressure is an age-old treatment and now it appears to be a very good treatment for obesity. It is efficient in helping the obese to lose weight without any pain. Ancient Chinese people used to practice acupressure technique for weight loss.
Advantages of Acupressure
- Acupressure can be administered by a massage therapist, an acupuncturist or it can be self administered. The therapy consists of applying pressure on the special acupressure points which enable the uninhibited flow of energy throughout the bodily network of channels. These points are known as Yu points or Shu points.
- This therapy is believed to help control cravings and hunger pangs very efficiently and goes a long way in helping to eat right which is half the battle won against obesity.
- It also helps to combat stress and various other bodily aches and pains. This improves general well being and helps bring about a relaxed demeanor in the individual. This helps against emotional overeating and other such psychological reasons of obesity.
- It when administered in certain points which are related to the digestive system helps to stimulate them and improve the process of digestion. This, by itself, improves the metabolic activities of the body.
- Most importantly, acupressure is a therapy which is entirely safe to be applied on self and others so long as you follow the instructions and pay attention to the cautions. No previous experience is necessary.
- There are no side effects from drugs involved, because there are no drugs involved. And the only equipment needed are your own hands. You can practice acupressure therapy anytime, anywhere.
- It is cost effective and can be practiced over a considerable time period without serious monetary implications.
The Acupressure guidelines for Weight Loss
- Proper identification of the specific pressure points of the body and then stimulating them by massaging gently, applying pressure or tapping them is the process.
- It is very important to locate the pressure points associated with weight loss. There are more than thousand of points on our body.
- If you are a beginner you may need to refer to the reflexology maps to get habituated with the various pressure points which are related to weight loss.
Commonly used Pressure Points for Weight Loss
Watch the video below and get a better idea of the pressure points discussed
- Most common used pressure points are spleen 6 or Sp 6, stomach 36 or St 36 and for large intestine 11 or Li 11. The points helps in weight loss and control appetite. The appetite control points are located behind the ears, just at the point where the lobes connect with the ear. Pressuring these points helps to control overeating and hunger.
- The next important point is spleen 6 which is located inside the ankle within a width of four fingers above the ankle bone. It helps in regulating metabolism and stimulate digestion, thus keeping the body relaxed.
- Or go for for your knee caps and then move down a palm size below them. Try find a little depression between the shin bone and the leg muscle. Apply pressure over it for a brief period of time doing it intermittently.
- The entire process of acupressure for weight loss depends on the application of pressure points on the appetite control point. For beginners it is advisable to take the help from an expert.
- Obesity is the cause of poor lifestyle choices, so acupressure alone will not help you to lose weight. You need to engage in lots of physical activities and maintain a healthy diet.
Acupressure Or Anti Obesity Medications
Drugs which are available as anti obesity medications control the weight of a person by changing the metabolism of the body on account of changed food habits. There are unavoidable side effects when we use these medications and the results are reversible and temporary in nature. Even doctors prescribe them as the last resort to address the menace of obesity. Prior to using these drugs, other treatment techniques like dieting and physical exercises are tried out. Mostly these weight loss diets themselves work by altering the way our body works and it take a long time to restore normalcy.
Acupressure is a natural treatment technique with no side effects. Its effectiveness is time-tested and does not involve the use of any chemical. As a result, it does not pose any threat to the normal functioning of the body. Some chemicals used in the preparation of anti-obesity drugs work by altering the function of hormones in the body. It is for these very reasons that we should prefer Acupressure over anti-obesity drugs.
However, in certain health conditions like heart problems, skin infections or even during pregnancy, it is advisable to take the opinion of the physician before going ahead with it.