Obesity in the old age involves several risk factors that can hamper a person’s movement, his health and quicken his death. Research studies have revealed various facts about obesity in elderly people. Find out more about the available treatments for obesity in Old Age.
Obesity is such a prevalent health problem that can even be life threatening at any point of your age. Very obviously the risk factor rises to its peak in the old age.
According to a recent study, at the age of seventy an obese person can be paralyzed if not killed. In the elderly, obesity contributes to the early onset of persistent morbidity and functional injury and is related to premature death.
Few Hard Facts about Obesity in The Old Age
- Changes in body during the aging process increase variation in the amounts and distributions of muscle and fat .These things are not present in younger ages.
- The shifting of tissues on and in the body in old age can aggravate pre-existing conditions that can accelerate adverse health and functional problems.
- Obese elderly patients are often seen to develop a reduced breathing that can reach insufficiency and cause a labored respiration. It happens because of the light efforts related to a cardiovascular insufficiency of various degrees.
- The occurrence of risk factors for heart disease is prominent in elderly obese people due to high blood pressure, low cholesterol and high fasting plasma glucose.
- Overweight and obesity are recognized as major risk factors for coronary heart disease. They are also associated with higher risk of hypertension, diabetes, certain cancers and other disorders.
One good news is that obesity and memory loss in old age are not related to each other. According to an extensive research done by Rush institute of Healthy aging, old age obesity does not cause memory loss or cognitive decline.
Treatment of Obesity in The Old Age
The right assessment of obesity among the elderly people needs to be continued for betterment. This is the only thing that can increase our understanding of the changes occurring at this stage of life.
Here are some tips on the treatment that can be done for the aged obese people.
- Weight maintenance can be the most effective treatment to prevent obesity in the old age.
- Essentially it also involves a healthy lifestyle in terms of diet, physical activity, smoking and alcohol intake.
- Lifestyle or behavioral changes may not be easily achievable in the elderly population due to financial, social or health constraints. But to get rid of obesity they can try to lead a healthy life style by reducing smoking and alcohol intake along with continuing physical activity.
- Of accessible treatments for the elderly obese, exercise is by far the most successful. Aerobic exercise, endurance programs, and progressive resistance training can all be useful in helping to decrease or maintain body weight and improve function.
- Sometimes the elderly people are seen to develop an inclination towards overeating or eating unhealthy foods. But to maintain the quality of life they need to show a bit restrain.
How Obesity in Old Age and Memory Problems are Related?
- Findings of a research study on this topic was published in the on-line edition of Neurology, the medical journal of the American Academy of Neurology.
- The study was carried out on 3,885 aged people above 65 years in Chicago city, for a duration of 6 years.
- 25 percent of the subjects in the study were obese with Body Mass Index above 30.
- 37 percent subjects had their Body Mass Index in between 25 and 29.9.
- At the end of the study, it was learnt that Obesity in old age do not threaten memory deterioration.
- However, being under weight can lead to Alzheimer’s disease.
- The researchers are still trying to understand the mechanism behind Obesity and Memory decline in old age.
- The study was supported by the National Institute on Ageing and the National Institute of Environmental Health Science.