Obesity has become a fast growing dangerous problem among teenagers. Obese children are more likely to become obese teenagers. Main causes of obesity during adolescence are unhealthy eating habits and reduction in the physical activities. Sometimes genetics also plays an important role in developing obesity.
Although obesity in any age is dangerous and overweight people are more prone to develop diabetes, heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure and some type of cancer. Obesity usually reduces the physical strength and also reduces life expectancy.
There are no magical bullets that might help in teenage weight loss. It all depends on you and your will power to reduce weight. The only key to succeed in this task is to change your habits and your lifestyle.
Here are few simple tips to change your daily routine which will help you to reduce your weight.
- Eat breakfast: Breakfast is an important meal of the day so never try to skip your breakfast. Get up early to eat the breakfast as it will keep you energized the whole day. For a nutritious breakfast you can take a glass of milk, some fruits, handful of nuts, whole wheat toast or high fiber cereal.
- Encourage more of Physical Activity: 60 minutes of physical activity daily is recommended to maintain healthy weight. But this doesn’t mean that you should do 60 minutes of activity at one stretch. Divide this period into shorter periods of activities evenly distributed along the day. Actively participate in team sports of your school or community. After your school, don’t cling to your television sets instead go for walking, jumping rope or shooting baskets. You can also help your mummy in her household activities like vacuuming, washing cars and other housekeeping activities.
- Snack Wisely: Sometimes it becomes difficult to choose healthy food from the vending lines in the schools. But you can replace these unhealthy options with something homemade or easy to carry like frozen grapes, cherry tomatoes, baby carrots, pretzels, seasonal fruits, sliced orange or yellow peppers, low fat puddings or yogurt, string cheese or graham crackers.
- Watch your Portion Sizes: Size of the portions matters a lot. If you are full then stop eating more, even if you have eaten just a slice of pizza or half a plate of pasta. There is no shame in taking leftover to your home or to share your meal.
- Count your Liquid Calories: An average can of soda contain 10 teaspoons of sugar and 150 calories. So switch to drinking water in place of soda or any other sugary drinks. If you are looking for variety then you can try flavored water, unsalted club soda or seltzer water.
- You can Enjoy Occasional Treats: Occasionally you can treat yourself with late night nachos or pizzas with your friends. Here also you can choose wisely like instead of cheese-dipped garlic bread you can eat bread-stick with marinara sauce.
- Ask your Family for Support: Task of losing weight becomes easy if your family is also supporting you. You can ask your family to start eating healthier food and exercising daily. Encourage your family to eat more vegetables, whole grains and fruits. Ask your mummy to prepare new healthier recipes. You can also plan few family outings during weekends like visiting a local recreation center, a picnic nearby or a family sport event.
- Dispute Impractical Images: Remember that in teens there is no perfect weight and body image. It is different for every other teenager. So, instead of thinking about slim” and fat” it is better for you to concentrate more on maintaining a healthy weight. To finalize ideal weight for you, you can consult your family doctor.
- Resist Quick Fixes: Remember that losing weight should be a lifetime pledge. Short-lived dieting plans might deprive you from the essential nutrients like calcium, iron and other minerals. Avoid using weight loss pills or other methods. Make some useful permanent changes in your habits and you will get benefit for the rest of your life.
- Be positive: Lastly, don’t get depressed because you are overweight. Okay losing weight seems to be a tough job but remember it is never impossible. Be determined about your decision and be positive about the result.
Teen Obesity Statistics in America:
- According to the Youth Risk Behaviour Surveillance, teenage obesity statistics is reported to be at 13 percent in the year 2007.
- Previous surveys reported this percent to be at 10.7 percent.
- In this year, the teenage obesity statistics reported that male teenage obesity is at 16.3 percent and in females the obesity rate is 9.6 percent.
- The rate of overweight teens is found to be at 15.8 percent when compared to the previous year’s statistics at 14.4 percent.
- 35.4 percent teenagers watch television for more than 3 hours daily.
- 78.6 percent are found not eating the recommended 5 servings of fruits and vegetables daily.
- 33.8 percent drink pop at least one time everyday.
- 65.3 percent youngsters are found not to be meeting the recommendations for physical activity which is 60 minutes of exercise.
- On the brighter side, 45.2 percent of overweight teens are trying to lose weight in this year when compared to 41.8 percent in the previous year.